Pages

Wednesday, August 19, 2015

The origin of JUDY DROOD, GIRL DETECTIVE



























I did this strip as a tribute to the girl sleuth/Nancy Drew character (which I grew up being very fond of -- there was a large collection of Nancy Drew and similar books in our house, owned by my siblings). It was just a one-shot, just a lark. It was before other "re-imaginings" like "Veronica Mars" or whatever, came along. My "interpretation" of the girl sleuth character was that she would have to be a little bit crazy and obsessive. (Looking back, this is kind of her “origin story.”).

Then the art was hanging in a comic art show in San Francisco and at the opening, my friend Randall Ann was reading it on the wall. I walked up to her and she turned to me and said "I want to read more about Judy Drood!" And that was all it took. I wrote two books with Judy - Mad Night and The Grave Robber's Daughter. Sometimes you just need someone to ask you.

3 comments:

  1. I still want even more Judy Drood!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love how each panel takes a darker and darker turn. That panel with the secret laboratory is great.

    On a side topic, I see that www.richardsala.com is no longer yours. Your blogs are great but one thing I used to do at the site was look at the Peculia and Chuckling Whatsit animations. I was able to nab the Peculia one but I'd love to see the old Chuckling Whatsit animation again. Do you still have a copy of it?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank you for giving posts and articles were very amazing. I really liked as a part of the article. With a nice and interesting topics. Has helped a lot of people who do not challenge things people should know. You need more publicize this because many people. Who know about it very few people know this. Success for you....!!!

    ReplyDelete