Pages

Monday, January 10, 2011

Time Bomb




I had created a number of short strips for Drawn & Quarterly back when they were only a single magazine anthology, before they grew to become one of the greatest publishers of comics ever. This was the last one I did. After this strip I was never invited to contribute to the anthology again. I guess I can't really blame them. I mean, the strip meant something to me, but I can see how it might not have meant anything to anyone else. It's a little too - I don't know - over-the-top or something.

I can't say exactly what I was going for with the strip. I do recall feeling rather bleak at the time and I am one of those artists who sometimes allows whatever their current mood may be dictate the direction of whatever they are working on at the time. I know that's not always very professional for a working artist who needs to develop relationships with editors & art directors based on trust. But it was something ingrained in me from my years in art school; I had grown accustomed to "exorcising demons" with art (I know that sounds glib, but it's kind of true).

Things have certainly changed (thankfully), but at that time, 1991, I probably should have been submitting some earnest auto-bio strips - or at least something with jokes - if I wanted to create a relationship with publishers. The sad fact, though, is that this was as close to auto-bio as my psyche would allow me to get... (Maybe as close as I got to making jokes, too).

Anyway, thank you to my loyal readers for tolerating all these recent trips down memory lane. I promise to post more current work again soon. (Yes - I've been hard at work on a couple of things, but I'm keeping the lid on for now. But watch for more previews of my upcoming book The Hidden very soon).

6 comments:

  1. I love seeing these trips down memory lane, man!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Me too! I'd love to see your Blab stories collected some day, as there are some real gems there.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I agree with the other comments. I love this stuff! I got into Invisible Hands and then lost track for a while so most of this stuff is brand new to me.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Great comic!

    "Down a crooked pathway, you're going nowhere fast..."

    'nuff said!

    ReplyDelete
  5. This looks so cool! this character like a kind of superhero..


    Kitchen Benchtops

    ReplyDelete