Pages

Sunday, December 20, 2009

A Gallery of Christmas Cards






Here is a selection of my Christmas/Seasons Greetings cards from over the years, mostly from the 1990s and early '00s. These were made to be sent to illustration/comics colleagues and clients. One of the earlier ones here, from 1992, was done on a letterpress (shown at the top). Others were simply done at Kinkos and some I did using Cafe Press. A couple were actually assignments -- Christmas cards for other people (like Fantagraphics or The Seattle Rocket) -- that I then revised and used as my own.

I did cards every year from 1992 until just a couple of years ago, but I don't have any left in my files from some years. I especially liked drawing Santa Claus for some reason. The one with the magician and his rabbit is from the year I had a strip featuring those characters running in Nickelodeon Magazine (I loved doing that strip, but it only lasted for about ten 2-page episodes...sigh). Nowadays, of course, anyone can create their own cards on their computers and print them out themselves on really nice paper -- that's still amazing to me. It's pretty cool, actually...

Anyway -- HAPPY HOLIDAYS!



6 comments:

  1. That first one is especially gorgeous. Thanks for posting these. ~RP

    ReplyDelete
  2. Very nice. I always associate your work with Christmas in my mind since I always put something of yours on my wishlist so it's cool to see some actual Christmas work.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great cards. My wife and I put a lot of work into our Christmas cards, so I appreciate the effort.

    Rex Parker is a fan? I read his xword blog every day!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wonderful pictures! Merry Christmas Mr. Sala!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Merry Christmas, and all the best for the New Year! Your work always makes me smile, even when it's really gory!

    ReplyDelete